If you have visited Hyderabad and never had Qubani(Khubani) ka Meetha dessert, then you did indeed miss something. Made from dried apricots, this dessert requires least of ingredients and is easy to prepare. Originally the dish was prepared for the Royals during Nizam rule, its golden beautiful color and delectable taste makes this even till date as one of the most savored dessert for occasions/ festivals.
This is often served post the traditional Hyderabadi Biryani. The right way to serve this dessert is with custard or clotted cream or icecream as per taste
You can add or skip rose water. Additionally you can add saffron too to this dish. Try out this delightful dessert and you will ask for seconds 🙂
Preparation time: 10 mins Cooking time: 25 mins Total time: 35 mins
- 250 gms dried apricots/khubani
- 5-6 tbsp sugar – adjust
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- Apricot seeds/Chopped Almonds to garnish
Steps to prepare
- Wash and soak the apricots in water overnight.Remove the seeds from the soaked apricots.
- Break open the seed shell and we find badam (almond) like kernels inside.Set the apricot kernels aside in a bowl.Discard the shells of the seeds.. In case you are using pitted apricots then substitute apricot seeds with almonds
- Heat apricots with it’s soaked water in a pan
- Cook the apricots on low flame until they are soft and mushy.
- Mash the cooked apricots lightly.
- Add sugar and cook until sugar is dissolved fully.
You can completely mash the apricots or leave some bit to munch on. Switch off the heat.Add rose water for additional taste and mix well
- Add apricot seeds or chopped almonds and mix well
- This dish is best served with custard or cream or ice-cream. Best served cold