Aromatic, Easy and simple to make, these are perfect for any festive occasions or parties. Saffron rice is very flavorful and yellow in color due to the generous use of saffron to prepare the rice
Different regions and countries have variations to Saffron rice preparation. In India, we have both sweet and savory Saffron rice. Then there is Trinidad Rice which has saffron color due to presence of turmeric etc
Here we have aromatic Middle eastern version which is is prominently made in Persian cuisine. The long grain basmati rice cooked in a vegetable or chicken broth with Saffron lends a delectable flavor to the final dish.
Preparation time: 30 mins Cooking time: 15 mins Total time: 45 mins
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon Saffron
- 2 tbsp warm milk
- 1-2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 4-5 tbsp caramelized onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups Veg Stock/Broth
Steps to prepare
- Clean and soak rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Add salt as required, since broth contains salt, adjust accordingly
- Cover and cook over low heat until done. Do not disturb rice or keep opening lid in between. This is important. Switch off and let it rest for 5 minutes
- Serve rice hot with any gravy