Move over apple and pumpkin pie, for this summer, it’s time to bake pie with Tropical and king of fruits – mango
You will need to use firm fleshed mangoes , instead of soft fibrous mangoes. If using those too soft and juicy mangoes, it will puree once you start baking. We need to have firm chunks even after baking the pie. Adding cornstarch to mangoes helps in firming it up since mango with sugar can start oozing juices
This pie is sweet, slightly tangy and amazingly awesome in taste.
Look at the gorgeous Mango pie made from the luscious sweet king of fruits – Mango. This tropical pie is going to change the way , you look at this lovely fruit. This season, it’s time to bake this delectable and delicious pie
Do share your experience in comments below once you bake this Summer treat
Preparation time: 75 mins Cooking time: 40 mins Total time: 115 mins
Servings: 6 -8
For Pie crust
- 2.5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 220 g cold unsalted Butter cubed
- 3 -5 tbsp ice cold Water
- 1 Egg beaten (optional)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 4 medium ripe mangoes chopped into chunks
- 1/4 cup Corn starch
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- Zest of 1/2 orange (optional)
- 1 beaten Egg
- 1 tsp Sugar
Steps to prepare
- In a bowl, mix flour with sugar and salt
- now add the butter and using a fork mix until crumbs are formed
- Add egg , this is optional
- Add cold water 1 tbsp at at time, do not add the water at once. Stir until mixture well combined to form a dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Cover each portion with cling wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Dust the surface with flour. Take one portion of the dough
- Roll it slightly bigger than pie pan. Grease pie dish
- Line the dish with the rolled dough. Trim excess edges.
- Prick with fork all over- this is optional
- Chill crust for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 190 deg cel. Add foil to dish on top of crust completely covering it. Add rice or beans to prevent dough from rising. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the crust to cool completely
- In a bowl, mix sugar and cornstarch. Add orange juice, zest to the bowl. I skipped the zest since they were out of season, zest wasn’t good and I did not want my pie to taste bitter. If you have good ones, then do add it, they add additional flavor. You can skip zest if required
- Add chopped mangoes and toss well. Immediately add the filling to crust and chill for 20 minutes. Once mangoes and sugar comes in contact with each other, mangoes will start releasing it’s juices. Since we still want to eat cubed mangoes, you need to immediately chill them
- Meanwhile take other portion of the dough, roll it and place over the mangoes. Trim excess edges. Here you can go creative and make any designs on the pie
- Give egg wash to it and sprinkle sugar on top. If you wish to skip making designs and want to directly make circle and cover mangoes, then you will need to make few slits on top. This will allow steam to pass through and pie will get cooked properly
- Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven at 200 deg cel. Add foil on top and bake for another 10-15 minutes at 180 deg cel
- Allow the pie to cool completely, detach the bottom of the pie dish incase it’s non detachable, leave the pie in the pan.
- Pie should cool for atleast 3 hours before slicing it. Cut and serve