Tulumba is deep fried dessert soaked in sugar syrup , very similar to Indian Jalebis and Spanish Churros. This is easy,delicious and popular Middle Eastern dessert/snack. Tulumba means “pump” in Turkish
Normally this dessert is popularly made during Ramzan and EID. This is also one of the popular street food in Turkey and best served warm. Tulumba must be consumed on the same day it’s prepared
Tulumba is crunchy when it’s fresh and warm, as the time passes by, it becomes chewy and loses it’s texture
Enjoy this delicious Tulumba as a dessert or as a snack
Preparation time: 60 mins Cooking time: 35 mins Total time: 95 mins
Servings: 8 – 10
- 1 cup Maida
- 1/2 cup Semolina
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp sugar
For Sugar Syrup
- 11/2 cup water
- 13/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Rose water – optional
Steps to prepare
- Prepare the sugar syrup first: Boil water with sugar , let it dissolve completely.
- Add lemon juice and let it boil for 5 minutes. Switch off
- Add rose water and mix well.
- Allow to cool. Unlike our jalebis, tulumba is soaked in room temperature syrup
- For dough: Heat 1 cup water with butter. Mix well.
- Add semolina and flour
- Mix well with spoon until well combined. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Knead this mixture with kneader or with stand mixer.Now add eggs, 1 at a time, blend well for 30 seconds before adding second one
- Add vanilla, sugar and salt
- Knead well.
- Fit the piping bag with 1 cm star nozzle.
- Fill piping bag with dough
- Heat oil for frying, note oil should be very lightly warm to cool. Now pipe the dough 5-8 cm long as desired and cut off with wet scissors. Do not crowd the pan. Finish piping before oil heats up
- Cook this over low medium heat until medium brown. This is to ensure the dough is cooked from inside and will be crunchy.
- Drain excess oil over tissue paper.
- Immediately drop in cooled sugar syrup. Let it rest in syrup for 5 mins.
- Drain excess syrup from Tulumba
- Transfer to serving bowl. Meanwhile allow the hot oil to cool before starting the next batch of Tulumba. tulumba should not be piped in hot oil, repeat the steps
- Garnish with powdered pistachios (optional) and serve immediately. Tulumba is best consumed on the same day, its prepared and should be served warm