This is one of the most simplest ,easy and tastiest side dish which goes well with both rice and flat breads. Further Bhindi is also one of the cheap veggie and the spices added in the dish is easily available in our pantry. Whenever I feel lazy and want to prepare something quick, this is another of my go to recipe
Fortunately everyone in my family does love Bhindi so thankfully I can prepare this easily for lunch/dinner. This dish is crispy , soft, nutritious and delicious in taste. I am sure you would love this dish as much as we do
Preparation time: 15 mins Cooking time: 12 mins Total time: 27 mins
- 200g Bhindi/Okra/ Ladies finger sliced or chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry pomegranate powder or 1 teaspoon Amchur powder/Dry mango powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 – 4 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1/8 teaspoon Hing/Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Steps to prepare
- Clean and pat dry Bhindi/Ladies finger.
- You can chop them or slice them in halves as desired
- In a bowl, add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, aamchur and salt. Generally salt is added at the end of cooking Bhindi, you can add this at beginning for this recipe. In case you are not comfortable doing it, then add it towards the end while cooking the dish. Mix all the spices well
- Add sliced bhindi to the bowl and mix well. Bhindi should be coated well with the spices and rest it on the counter for 15 minutes.
- In a kadai/pan, heat oil , add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and hing
- Allow cumin seeds to splutter and fennel seeds to turn golden brown
- Add onion and ginger garlic paste. Saute for 2 mins
- Add besan
- Saute over low flame for 5 minutes or till the besan turns aromatic.
- Add in prepared bhindi masala mix
- Saute Bhindi for 1-2 minutes
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes or till bhindi gets cooked completely.
- Now add garam masala and coriander leaves. mix well. In case you haven’t added salt at the beginning, you can add it now and mix well
- Serve besan bhindi masala warm with rice / roti.