With Summer comes, one of my most favorite fruit – Luscious Mango and then begins all my mango dishes preparation. Every summer, Mango cake is mandatory dish for me, I will be sharing recipe shortly. This summer, instead of flour, I have used semolina to prepare the cake. This is Eggless, gluten free, dairy free and perfect for kids too. The aroma of this Mango Semolina Cake will make you hungry and you would crave for it
The flavor of Mango Semolina Cake is unforgettable and you will enjoy each and every bite of this. This is a perfect tea time cake. Try this Mango Semolina Cake and impress your family and friends.
This recipe has been adapted from pretty little things blog. I have seen recipes using butter or vanilla extract. I wouldn’t recommend either of them for this dish. The cake tastes heavenly with cardamom powder. Now instead of adding nuts on top, you can frost the cake too. If you aren’t sure of the sugar quantity to be used then add sugar after adding mangoes and taste the batter. The batter is indication of sweetness of the cake. Do not over bake this cake as Semolina will harden even more than flour cakes if you bake a bit longer than required time
Preparation time: 20 mins Baking time: 40 mins Total time: 60 mins
- Fine Semolina/Sooji – 1 cup
- Unsweetened Mango pulp – 1 cup
- Neutral flavored Oil – 1/4 cup
- Powdered Sugar 1/3 cup – 3/4 cup (adjust quantity)
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ground Cardamom – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chopped nuts of your choice for garnish – (Cashews/ almonds/ Pistachios) – 1/4 cup
Steps to prepare
- In a bowl, add semolina, sugar, cardamom and baking powder. Now sugar quantity should be adjusted as per sweetness of Mangoes. I used Kesar mangoes so I have used 1/3 cup sugar
- Add oil , it is best to use any neutral flavored oil , we do not want oil to overpower taste of mangoes
- Mix well.
- Finally add the mango pulp and mix well. Now the mangoes I have used had bright saffron color so I skipped saffron, if required you can add 1 teaspoon saffron milk
- Let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes on the counter so that Semolina absorbs the mango pulp and the batter becomes thick.
- Pour the batter in a greased cake tin (Loaf pan or 8 inch cake tin)
- Garnish with nuts of your choice.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes in preheated oven at 180 deg cel. Keep a close watch after 25 minutes, if it starts browning too quickly, lower the temperature a bit or cover the top of the cake with foil.
- Check with a toothpick in the center of the cake to see if properly baked. If it comes out clean then remove immediately. If it is kept for a longer time, the cake will develop a crust on the top. Cool the cake in pan for 20 minutes. Demould and cool completely
- Slice and serve this luscious , delectable cake