Chicken Majestic is served as starter/Appetizer or as side dish to Rice , also a good accompaniment with alcohol. Its spicy, tangy, hot and lip-smacking dish. Now this dish is not so popularly known outside Hyderabad but I am sure once you prepare this dish, you will keep making this again
Hyderabadi Majestic Chicken, is a mouth-watering delicacy which no one can resist. To be honest, I am not sure how the dish got it’s name but yes it does taste awesome.
I have fond memories of this dish. I often had this dish at food joints while I lived in Hyderabad for 5 years. The last time I visited Hyd , I had this dish and knew, I had to get this recipe and make it at home. This is one of the dishes which is family favorite. Its quite simple to make and requires ingredients which are easily available in our pantry
*The buttermilk marination makes this chicken soft yet delicious. if you do not have time, then you can marinate only for 30 minutes
**I have skipped adding Ajinomoto to the dish as it is not healthy, you can add it for additional taste. Restaurants and Dine outs add Ajinomoto to this dish
Since I have embedded the video, please do view it for better clarity in preparation of the dish
Preparation time: 65 mins Cooking time: 15 mins Total time: 80 mins
- 350- 400 gms Boneless Chicken breasts
- 1.5 cups Buttermilk
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- Oil for frying
- 1/4 cup corn Flour
For Majestic Masala
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 3 green chilies slit
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam Masala
- 1 tsp Lime juice
- 1 tsp Dark Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp minced Garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup Yogurt
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2-3 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves for garnish
- 2 tbsp Spring Onions (optional) – garnish
- Salt to taste
Steps to prepare
- Cut the chicken into strips and marinate with buttermilk, lemon and salt.
- Refrigerate marinated chicken for 1-2 hours. Longer the marination , better the taste
- Discard marination and squeeze excess buttermilk. Coat the chicken strips with corn flour and deep fry for 2 minutes. Do not fry for more than 2 minutes else chicken will become hard. Allow excess oil to be absorbed. Keep it aside
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Add garlic to the pan and saute minced garlic until aromatic. Cook over high flame. Add curry leaves and green chilies and saute for few seconds.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw aroma goes away.
- Add spice powders and mix well for few seconds
- Add soy sauce, vinegar and mix well
- Reduce heat to low, add yogurt and gently mix. Add little salt as per taste and mix
- Add chicken strips and coat well with all the masalas.
- Stir Fry for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle Lime juice and toss well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and spring onions. Serve hot as appetizer or as side dish to rice/pulao