Schezwan Sauce is a spicy sauce used in variety of Chinese recipes like Fried Rice, Noodles etc. It is also served as condiment with momos or any Chinese fried snacks. You can make this sauce at home and the sauce is as spicy and tangy as store brought one
Since I could not get sichuan Peppers, I could not add them to the dish. You can make the sauce without it too, Sichuan Peppers will enhance the taste. Use 4 sichuan Peppers for the sauce. Add them along with red chilies while grinding to paste
* You can add finely chopped celery/spring onions too while cooking for additional taste. I have added dark soy sauce , hence the color is dark red, you can use light soy sauce for the bright red color
**You can always adjust quantity of vinegar, sauces and sugar if you find the sauce too hot to taste. Schezwan Sauce is actually hot, fiery in taste but you can adjust the heat of the sauce to suit taste buds
Do watch the video for better clarity in preparing the sauce
Preparation time: 40 mins Cooking time: 25 mins Total time: 65 mins
- Dry Red Chili -30 gm (less spicy variety)
- Garlic cloves(finely chopped)-18-20
- Ginger(finely chopped)-1 inch
- Tomato Chilli Sauce-2 tsp
- White Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- 6-7 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Light soy sauce – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Water as required for sauce consistency
- Chopped Celery/Spring Onions – 3 tbsp – Optional
Steps to prepare
- De-stalk and de-seed dry red chilies, this will reduce the spiciness of the sauce
- Soak red chilies in luke warm water for 30 minutes. Drain water and add red chilies to grinder
- If adding sichuan peppers, add it to grinder now with red chilies and grind to fine paste
- Heat oil in a Non stick pan. Add ginger garlic and saute until raw aroma goes away. Oil helps in storing sauce for longer duration
- If you are using celery or spring onions in sauce, add them now and saute for 1 minute
- Add red chilli paste and saute until the raw taste goes away. Chinese dishes are always cooked on high flame.
- This will be like a paste. Add water as we need to make sauce. I added 1 cup water to start with.
- Mix everything well.
- Add vinegar, salt, sugar and sauces. Mix well. This will add color , reduce pungent taste, add sour and tangy taste and make it last longer
- Cover and cook on low- medium flame for 15 minutes, keep stirring in between. The oil will start leaving the sides.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes without lid. Switch off .
- Allow sauce to cool. Bottle and store in cool dry place.
- I have added 1 tbsp oil at the top as oil helps in preserving sauce for longer duration. Always use dry clean spoon while handling the sauce