This is a deliciously spiced Bhindi/Ladies finger dish which tastes well with any flatbread or Rice, usually served as side dish. It’s so simple and easy to make and requires fewer ingredients. When it comes to Indian food, we never run out of dishes combination that we can make with veggies and spices
*You can skip onion and garlic in the recipe for making Jain Bhindi Masala. You can add or skip garam masala as per taste. Add Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) for additional taste
**You can always reduce the quantity of red chili powder and use green chilies instead
Do watch the video for better clarity in preparing the dish and share your experience once you prepare it
Preparation time: 10 mins Cooking time: 20 mins Total time: 30 mins
- 2-3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 250-300 g Bhindi/ Okra /Ladies Finger
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Onion, finely Chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 big Tomato, finely Chopped
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder – optional
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Steps to prepare
- Clean the bhindi and pat dry thoroughly. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add the bhindi and fry for 6-8 minutes until slightly crisp.
- Remove the bhindi in a plate.
- Add 2 tsp oil in the same pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let them crackle
- Now add onion and saute until golden brown
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute until raw aroma disappears
- Add tomato and saute until they are mushy.
- Now add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Mix well for few seconds
- Add bhindi and mix well so that it is well coated with spices
- Cover the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes over low heat.
- Increase the heat to high.
- Cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes until all the moisture evaporates.
- Add dry mango powder and mix well
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve hot with chapathi / paratha,rice or any flatbreads