Aam Doi is one of the popular delectable dessert from West Bengal state. Here mangoes are added to the traditional Mishti Doi (one of the well known sweet dish from Bengal) and is served cold. This is one of the best and popular summer dessert. It is so easy to make with fewer ingredients and tastes absolutely delicious. With the advent of summer, my craze for this luscious fruit, mango grows and yes, the ways to use this fruit in my dessert is limitless
Ever since I have moved to Kolkata, be it any occasion or festivals, Misti Doi is regularly served as a dessert post meal. During the summers, mangoes are added to this traditional sweet and the taste is absolutely divine.There are multiple variations in preparing this dessert. Here is my take on how the dessert is prepared. You can steam or bake this dessert as desired
*If using Greek yogurt to prepare the dish, then skip the first 2 steps of preparation
**If using store brought mango puree or lesser sweet mangoes then adjust the quantity of condensed milk
Do watch the video for better clarity in preparation and share your experience once you prepare the dish
Preparation Time: 5 mins Setting and cooling time:5 hours Cook Time: 35 mins
- Full fat Thick Curd – 400 gms/ Greek Yogurt – 1 cup
- Fresh Mango puree – 1 cup
- Condensed milk – 100 ml (adjust sweetness according to taste)
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Saffron milk – 1 tbsp or few drops Kesar food color
- Blanched and chopped Pistachios/almonds – for garnishing – 1 tbsp
Steps to prepare
- Add curd to cheese cloth/muslin cloth
- Tie the curd in a muslin cloth and squeeze out the water, leaving it suspended over a bowl for an hour or two.
- Transfer the hung curd to bowl
- Add the mango pulp,condensed milk and cardamom powder
- If using food color or saffron milk, add them now. I have skipped this step
- Blend mixture until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour into individual oven-safe ramekins or in a large ceramic/glass oven-friendly bowl.
- Fill a baking tray with water so it reaches half-way up the ramekin sides.
- Bake them for 15 minutes n preheated oven at 180 deg cel
- Then, cover with foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until top is completely set. Do not touch yogurt top with foil
- Let it stand in oven for 2-3 hours
- Allow to cool and then refrigerate for 3 or more hours.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios/nuts and serve it cold.