“Tiranga” means Tri-coloured representing our National flag colors- Saffron, white and green with 24 hours blue colored spoke at the centre.
These cookies are a small tribute to all the freedom fighters of the past and the soldiers who protect our nation. This Independence day , prepare the delicious, delectable Vanilla swirl cookies in colors of Indian flag. Happy Independence day, Jai Hind!
**if you do not wish to use food colors then add in saffron milk with 2 tbsp carrot puree for Saffron color, add 3 tbsp spinach puree for the green color
Preparation time: 15 mins Cooking time: 12 mins Total time: 27 mins
- 11/4 cup all purpose flour
- 110 gm unsalted soft butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- few drops Kesar (Saffron) food colour
- few drops Green Food colour
- 1-2 drops Blue Food colour
Steps to prepare
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar for about 3-5 minutes until creamy
- Add egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined
- Incorporate flour and salt and knead soft smooth dough
- Divide dough in 3 equal pieces. Take small portion from each dough to make small lemon sized ball
- Add kesar food colour to first portion and knead until colour is well incorporated
- Add green colour to second portion and knead until colour is well incorporated
- Add blue colour to lemon sized ball and knead until colour is well incorporated
- Cover each dough into cling wrap. Pat them into rectangular shape. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours
- Roll green dough into a rectangle over a parchment paper. All the tri colored dough should have same length and breadth
Roll white dough into rectangle over a parchment paper. Use flour to make sure the rolling pin doesn’t stick
- Roll kesar dough rectangle over a parchment paper
Flip the white dough on top of the green dough.Flip the kesar dough on top of the white dough and roll into log
- Cover with cling wrap or parchment paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg. Line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Slice the log into 1/4 inch thick cookies. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets with distance between them
Take small portion of blue dough, using toothpick, make spokes. Place it on centre of each Cookies
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Store in airtight container, munch on them as required. Consume within a week.