This is a delicious, delectable Lentil vegetable dish which is one of the most popular South Indian curry and goes well with steamed rice, idli,dosas etc. It is semi spiced, tangy, mildly sweet with flavors of coconut and is served in all popular South Indian restaurants. I am sure most of the countries has a Udupi restaurant so do try this curry once
Each state in South India has it’s own version of Sambar so here I have presented Sambar prepared in Udupi style. The process seems lengthy with quite many ingredients but the taste is worth the effort.
Udupi is a small coastal city in the southwest Indian state of Karnataka. Since coconut is mainly available here, majority of the dishes contain coconut. Udupi Sambar is made with coconut, you cannot skip coconut in this dish
You can also check my Kerala Sambar recipe too.
*You can add sugar instead of jaggery but jaggery makes curry tastes better. Coconut oil and ghee renders right flavor to the dish, you can use veg oil as a substitute
Do check the video for better clarity in preparation and share your experience in the comments section below
Preparation Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 60 mins Total time: 75 mins
- 1 teaspoon grated Jaggery
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 sprig Curry Leaves
- 2-3 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves (Cilantro)
- 2 Green Chilies slit
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 8-10 sambar Onions (shallots) peeled
- Salt to taste
For Pressure cooking
- 1 cup Toor Dal (Split Pigeon Pea Lentils)
- 3 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
For Sambar Masala
- 6-8 dry red chilies
- 1 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 4 tbsp grated Coconut
- 5 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1.5 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Chana Dal ( Split Bengal gram )
- 2 tbsp Urad Dal (black gram lentils, skinned and split)
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Carrot cubed
- 1 Potato cubed
- 5-6 beans chopped
- 1/2 cup Yellow Cucumber cubed
- 2-3 small brinjals chopped
- 1/2 cup ladies finger chopped
- 1 cup cubed Pumpkin
- 2 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Hing/Asafoetida
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 teaspoon urad Dal (black gram lentils, skinned and split)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
Steps to prepare
- Pressure cook dal with water and turmeric until completely soft. Mash dal. Keep aside
- In a pan, heat oil and roast all spices and coconut as mentioned under sambar masala section until they brown.
- Allow mixture to cool completely. Add sufficient water and grind to form smooth paste. Keep this aside
- In a separate big pan/vessel, heat 2 tbsp oil,
- Add sambar onions, curry leaves,green chilies. Saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add tomatoes and all the veggies with turmeric to the pan
- Saute for 5 minutes until raw smell goes away.
- Add salt, water and mix well
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Add the ground paste to veggies. Mix well
- Add tamarind pulp ,salt, dal and jaggery. Mix well.
- Now simmer and allow to cook for 15 minutes
- Add coriander leaves and mix well. Switch off the heat
- Now heat ghee in a small pan
- Splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add urad dal and saute until brown
- Add hing , dry red chilies and curry leaves. Saute for few seconds.Switch off
- Add seasoning to sambar. Mix well.
- Serve hot with rice, dosa, idli Vada etc