With the Indian Festival season around the corner, there is one ingredient which is in high demand – Khoya/Kova/Mawa which is used in Gujiya, Halwa, Gulab Jamun , Burfi and so on. In English mawa is called reduced dry milk or whole dry milk. Mawa is one of the primary ingredient used in majority of Indian sweet dish preparation
Traditionally khoya/mawa is prepared by evaporating milk and reducing it to its solid form. These days we don’t have enough patience to prepare Khoya in traditional way as the process is quite time consuming, and market brought sometimes isn’t good enough, so this is a simple method to prepare mawa at home without compromising the taste.You need fewer ingredients which is easily available in our pantry and within 15 minutes, this cheesy Khoya can be prepared
Now use this Khoya/Mawa in sweets preparation as desired. Double/Triple the quantity of ingredients as required
*Instead of ghee, unsalted butter can be used as a substitute
Do watch the video for better clarity in preparation and share your experience in the comments section once you prepare the dish
Preparation Time: 1 min Cooking Time: 15 mins Total time: 16 mins
- 1 cup Milk powder
- 1/2 cup full fat Milk
- 3 tbsp cream
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
Steps to prepare
- Heat ghee over medium heat in a non stick pan.
- When it melts add cream and mix well
- Add milk to the pan.Whisk well and allow the liquid to come to a boil.
- Do not increase heat as this might curdle the milk.
- Now add the milk powder 3 tbsp at a time whisking all the while, it should be lump free.
- When all the powder has been added into the milk increase the heat slightly and keep on stirring constantly. It might get slightly discolored at the bottom.
- In 5 – 7 minutes the mixture will start leaving the sides of the pan.
- Transfer it to heat resistant dish and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Store in an air tight container under refrigeration. Use as required