Sheer khurma (Qorma) or Sheer khorma, is a festival vermicelli pudding prepared on Eid ul-Fitr and Eid al-Adha in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Indian subcontinent and parts of Central Asia. It is a traditional festive breakfast, and a dessert for celebrations. This is one of the most popular dessert from Hyderabad, India.
Sheer means “milk and Khurma means “dates” in Persia hence this is also called as Milk Vermicelli Dates Pudding
I had this dessert first time when I was in college and was invited by my friend during Eid for meal. This was served post Biryani and the taste was mind blowing. It was the first time I had learnt about Sheer Khurma and back then I knew if I was making a pudding, I would be definitely preparing this dessert
This dessert tastes best when served warm, so if you have any leftovers, just refrigerate them and warm them up before serving. Now there is no hard rule that it cannot be served cold as my family loves this dessert cold except myself so serve as desired
*Do not thicken the milk too much while cooking as vermicelli on cooling absorbs milk. If Sheer Khurma has become dry, then add in warm milk with little powdered sugar (if required) to adjust the consistency
**Use only full fat milk to prepare this dessert. Do not substitute Ghee or dates as both are mandatory for the right flavor in this dessert
Do watch the video for better clarity in preparation and share your experience once you prepare the dish
Preparation Time: 5 mins Cooking Time: 15 mins Total time: 20 mins
- 1 litre milk
- 1 cup fine vermicelli
- 8-10 chopped Dates
- 1/3 cup Sugar (adjust)
- 1/4 teaspoon Saffron strands
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp Ghee (Clarified butter)
- 10-12 Almonds Chopped
- 10-12 Cashews broken
- 10-12 Raisins
- 2 tbsp chopped Pistachios
- 2 tbsp Chironji ( Buchanania lanzan )
Steps to prepare
- Soak Saffron in 5 tbsp warm milk.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add almonds, cashew nuts, raisins, pistachios and Chironji to the pan
- Fry them till they are slightly browned.
- Add vermicelli and fry till slightly browned.
- Add milk and dates and cook till vermicelli is softened stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, saffron soaked in milk and cardamom powder to the pan
- Mix well and cook for another minute
- Transfer to serving bowls, Garnish with Almonds and pistachio slivers.
- Serve warm. Store leftovers in refrigerator and warm up just before serving