This is a lovely delicious Kheer made from Lauki(Bottle Gourd). This is often made during Navratri or, specially during vrat (fasting) time.
Lauki(Bottle Gourd) can be used to make savory as well as several desserts (recipes soon to follow). This is also one of the most popular veggie during fasting season and basically Lauki acts as a coolant during hot weather.
Just because you are fasting, you need not forfeit your favorite dessert Kheer. This kheer is so easy to make which requires fewer ingredients and is so easily available in our pantry. Now you needn’t wait for fasting season to prepare this delectable kheer, I sometimes prepare this when I do not wish to add rice in my pudding so substitute it with this humble vegetable
*You can substitute Bottle gourd with Zucchini too
**In place of dairy milk, almond milk or thick coconut milk can be used but then remember to cook over low medium heat all the time as it will curdle over high heat
Do watch the video for better clarity in preparing the dish and share your experience in the comments section below
Preparation time: 10 mins Cooking time: 25 mins Total time: 35 mins
- 1-2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 cup grated Lauki (Bottle Gourd)
- 3 cups full fat milk
- 12-13 fried cashews
- 1/3 cup sugar-adjust
- 1 teaspoon edible rose water
- Few saffron strands
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
Steps to prepare
- Melt ghee in deep bottom vessel
- Add lauki and mix well
- Saute Lauki for 4 minutes
- Add milk and mix well. Over low- medium heat, boil milk for 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally
- Add saffron and mix well. Simmer and cook for 14-15 minutes stirring occasionally
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add cardamom and mix well
- Add cashews and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Switch off the heat
- Add rose water and mix well
- Kheer thickens on cooling. Garnish with nuts.
- Serve warm or cold as desired