These delectable tasty Ladoos made from Lauki (Bottle gourd) and coconut are mainly prepared during Vrat/fasting season.Bottle Gourd has multiple health benefits, few of them are: Bottle gourd is rich in dietary fibre, both, soluble and insoluble. Hence, it helps in curing constipation, flatulence and even piles . Bottle gourd is a veggie which is least favorite amongst many. However sweets prepared from Bottle gourd are consumed with fervor during fasting due to the taste it renders in sweet dish
Now there are many variations in preparing these delectable ladoos, you can add semolina or Mawa (milk solids) too for additional taste however I prefer the base taste of these ladoos. Besides these ladoos are so easy to prepare and requires fewer ingredients
*Instead of Bottle gourd (Lauki), you can use Zucchini too. Adjust sugar and ghee as per taste. Bottle gourd is a natural watery veggie so the mixture should be cooked till it’s dry else you wouldn’t be able to shape them
**Ghee renders natural taste, if you do not have it then substitute with unsalted butter or coconut oil
***You can skip adding green food color, in case you want the natural beautiful green colour , you can add 1-2 tbsp spinach puree
Do watch the video for clarity in preparation and share your experience once you prepare the dish
Preparation Time: 8 mins Cooking Time: 25 mins Total time: 33 mins
Servings : 4
- 2 cups finely grated Bottle Gourd/Lauki
- 3/4 cup Dessicated Coconut
- 1/3 cup or more Sugar adjust
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 3-4 tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 3-4 tbsp chopped nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- Green food colouring optional
- 1/4 cup desiccated Coconut for rolling – optional
Steps to prepare
- Heat ghee in deep bottom vessel
- Add grated lauki and mix well
- Saute Lauki for 3-4 minutes.
- Add milk and mix well. Cook for 4-5 minutes
- Add sugar and mix well. Cook for 4-5 minutes
- Add food colouring and mix well. This is optional. This gives beautiful green colour to Laddu
- Add cardamom and mix well.
- Now cook until mixture becomes dry
- Allow mixture to cool completely
- Add nuts to mixture.
- Add desiccated Coconut 2-3 tbsp at a time and mix well. Do not add 3/4 cup in single go. Add as required
- Grease palms and shape mixture into Laddos.
- Roll over desiccated Coconut, this is optional but it gives beautiful look and additional taste to Ladoos.
- Best served cold, consume within 3 days.