This is a Classic Kerala special kheer made specially during Onam/Vishu Sadhya. It is prepared from Ada (Rice bits/Rice flakes), Coconut milk and jaggery. No Onam/Vishu sadhya is complete without this traditional dessert.Here I have used ready-made (store brought) Ada to prepare the dish
Ada pradaman is one of my childhood favorite payasam. During festivals, I used to drool over the variety of kheers my grandmother, mother, aunts used to make. If you make this pradhaman with homemade ada, it tastes heavenly. You will want to make this again and again. Sharing my family recipe here. Enjoy this delicious yummy pradhaman this Onam and satisfy your sweet cravings.
Homemade Ada does require bit of patience to prepare however fresh ada renders awesome taste to the dessert, now you can prepare this dessert with condensed milk too but somehow I dislike the taste when condensed milk is added. You can also check my Paladda recipe for another variation to the kheer
*This dish ideally requires 50-60 ml ghee (clarified butter),I had reduced the quantity to suit my taste. You can add 50-60 ml ghee
**The colour of the ghee comes from type of jaggery used, adjust the sweetness as desired
Do watch the video for better clarity in preparation and share your experience once you prepare the dish
Preparation time: 15 mins Cooking time: 25 mins Total time: 40 mins
- 1/2 cup Ada (homemade or store-bought)
- 3/4 cup – 1 cup grated Jaggery – adjust
- 3/4 cup thick Coconut milk
- 11/2 cup thin Coconut milk (Second extract)
- 4 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
- 2-3 tbsp Cashews
- 1-2 teaspoon Raisins
- 1- 2 tbsp Coconut bits
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Cardamom
Steps to prepare
- Boil 3-4 cups water, add ada. switch off.
- Keep it aside for 15 minutes. Drain excess water
- Clean ada 2-3 times in cold water. This will prevent sticking with each other
- Drain water. keep it in siever to drain any additional water
- In a pan, melt jaggery in 1/2 cup water
- Sieve jaggery for any impurities. Keep it aside
- In a pan, melt 2 tsp ghee, roast coconut bits. Keep it aside
- Now roast cashews and raisins with remaining ghee
- In a separate pan, add 2 tsp ghee and ada.
- Roast ada over low medium heat for 4-6 minutes
- Add jaggery syrup and mix well.Bring it to boil
- Add thin coconut milk and mix well.
- Once pradaman starts to thicken, add cardamom powder. Mix well
- Add thick coconut milk. mix well. switch off immediately
- Add cashews, raisins and coconut bits. mix well
- Serve this delicious Pradhaman warm