Delectable, delicious Onion and garlic flavoured bread, which is one of the perfect accompaniment with soup, butter or cheese. The flavour of Caramelized Onion Garlic bread is tempting and you will enjoy each bite of this. Try this Caramelized Onion garlic bread on weekends and impress your family and friends.
You can add little ACV to the flour, this increases the flavor and helps in increasing the lightness of the dough. Honestly the bread is too delicious for words. Once sliced, you can toast and eat with soup. Alternatively you can eat with curries or just toast and munch on it. They taste awesome
*Bread flour renders right texture to the bread. You can use all purpose flour here. Do not be tempted to add too much flour while kneading , this will result in denser bread
*Kneading is the essential step. You can knead with hands or with kneader but do not be lazy at this step. Again its best to use wet hands for kneading instead of dusting hands with flour while kneading
**Doing window pane test helps you in determining if you have got the bread dough right. Pinch golf sized ball and stretch between 2 fingers and thumbs, it should stretch without breaking
** Steaming while baking helps in creating tall, light loaves. It also crisps the crust and makes the crust chewier
***Cool the bread for 2 hours before slicing at least otherwise the bread will look underdone and soggy
Do watch the video for better clarity in preparation and share your experience once you prepare the dish
Preparation time: 2 hours Cooking time: 35 mins Total time: 2 hrs 35 mins
- 1 Onion thinly sliced
- 3-4 tbsp white spring Onions chopped
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp green spring Onions chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive oil + 1 teaspoon oil
- 250 g All purpose Flour/Bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry Yeast
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp lukewarm Water
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 3 tbsp green spring Onions chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves mined/1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Steps to prepare
- In a frying pan, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add regular Onions with white spring Onions to the pan
- Cook onions until soft and caramelized
- Allow to cool completely
- Add sugar and yeast to 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Mix well.
- Rest on the counter for 7-10 minutes until yeast blooms
- In a large bowl, add flour, and salt. Mix well.
- Now add garlic powder, 1/4 cup green part of spring onions and caramelized onions and mix well
- Add in yeast water and mix well
- Gradually add rest of the water as desired
- Knead until the dough is soft, smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Do window pane test, pinch small amount of dough, flatten it and stretch between thumbs and 2 fingers, it should be elastic, stretchable without breaking.
- Coat the dough with 1 tsp Oil.
- Cover it and let it sit for about 1.5-2 hours at room temperature to rise until doubled in size.
- Gently deflate the dough and fold in without kneading on floured surface. Shape it like a loaf
- Place it in a greased loaf pan and sprinkle 3 tbsp green onion chopped leaves on top.
- Cover with greased wrap. Leave it to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 deg cel.
- Remove the wrap and brush top with olive oil/egg
- Sprinkle rock salt on top if desired
- Place loaf pan in baking tray filled with hot water halfway
- Bake for 15 minutes with steam then remove the pot with water from the oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 190 deg cel and bake for another 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix butter, garlic, salt and parsley. Pour this generously over the loaf.
- Cool the bread in pan for 10 minutes and then demould
- Cool on a wire rack. Let the bread cool completely before cutting.
- Slice and serve with cheese or Soup