“Shahi Tukda” means – Royal pieces in Hindi. The name itself is a reminiscent of its royal background, wherein this dessert was often served after lavish meals during Mughal reign in India. This dessert is also popularly known as Double ka Meetha and originates from Hyderabad,India. “Double ka Meetha” means twice sweetened dessert, for indeed this is bread pudding soaked in sugar syrup and then soaked again in fragrant , saffron, sweet creamy milk
This dish is easy, simple to prepare and is so rich and amazingly delicious in taste. This can be made for parties/occasions. It requires lesser efforts and ingredients can be easily found in our pantry
I generally prepare this only on occasions as I find the dessert quite rich and decadent , loaded with calories. But, this is also one of the perfect dessert to prepare when you have guests over for dinner. One of the easiest way to impress your family and friends
** Note – Yes, you can shallow fry bread in healthy neutral flavored oil instead of ghee. You can add artificial sweetener instead of sugar to milk for slightly better and healthier version of the dessert.
Preparation time: 15 mins Cooking time: 45 mins Total time: 60 mins
- 5 Bread slices
- 1/2 cup Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- For Sugar Syrup:
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- For Rabri:
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar – (adjust)
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- Few Saffron strands
- 4 tbsp chopped Almonds
- 2 tbsp Pistachios
Steps to prepare
- Lets begin with Rabri preparation
- Boil milk in deep bottom vessel.
- Reduce heat to low. Add sugar and cardamom to milk.
- Mix well until sugar dissolves
- Cook until milk reduces to 1/4th of it’s original quantity
- Add saffron strands to milk and mix well
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes.Switch off and allow to cool completely.
- Next prepare Sugar syrup while Rabri is chilling: Take sugar in saucepan, add water.
- Stir until sugar dissolves
- Boil syrup until it reaches one string consistency. Keep it aside
- Trim bread edges and cut into triangles.
- Shallow fry the bread in ghee until golden brown.
- Soak bread in sugar syrup for 3 minutes. Shake the excess sugar syrup and keep it aside
- Pour Rabri in serving plate
- Transfer the soaked bread to serving plate. Pour the remaining Rabri on top of bread slices. Garnish with chopped nuts and Chill for 1-2 hours. Serve cold